Friday, November 14, 2008

Does a bunch of bricks ever become a house?

An interesting mood has been creeping into my thinking about my riding and whatnot. I've been at it now for a little under two years. For the last few months I have been responding differently to my regular training. In the beginning i saw training as a bitter pill you take 5 or 6 days every week knowing that it's good for you. That you get faster on the bike and that was something I wanted and the discomfort and pain of training as the price you pay to get what you want.

Lately I have noticed that I am craving to be faster less than I used too. I am craving more the workout itself. No longer is it a biter pill but a comforting friend. Someone I miss if they are absent too long and am truly happy to see again.

I am choosing to see this change as positive for two reasons. One I think being focused and driven on the workouts themselves may make them more productive. Two I think it is difficult to be solely focused on very long term goal and not have short term rewards and failures along the way.

So I am trying to build a house here... Then it makes sense to make each brick with care. If the house this made of bricks then how well you make each brick matters. Obviously you need a master plan or you end up with a pile of bricks and no living room. But I am finding the growing interest in the process and less focus on outcome freeing a bit.

Am I prepared to accept an unknown outcome that is inherent in this sort of process? If i do the best i can, will I be pleased with the results?

While I am intrigued by this evolution in my thinking but I am worried it could indicate a relaxation of focus. I guess we'll just keep an eye on this and see where it takes us for a while.

No comments: