Monday, May 19, 2008

I broke my bike but not my head.

I had a bit of a mishap this last weekend. I ran into the side of a car on my bike. A driver tried to pull into a parking spot right in front of me and I plowed into the side of her car. I was going along about 20 when i saw her and started to brake. I think I had about a car length and a half of braking before the impact. I glanced of the side of her car because it was at an angle to go into the spot then got kicked onto the sidewalk beside the road.  It's my first wreck. I am fine, a bit sore but no bad at all.

My bike took the worst of it tho. The frame cracked and I'll have to replace it. carbon frame  ride wonderfully but are subject to fracture. Once the integrity of the moulded carbon is breached you have to throw it out and replace it. So my bike store is going to order a new one. I'll have to wait a bit for it to come in and get assembled so that's a bummer. I'm riding my old bike for the moment as to keep up with training.

It's odd I remember it in it's entirety. you hear stories about how it's all a blur or it happened so fast. not in this case while it did happen in the blink of an eye I remember it well and what I was thinking. I can remember seeing the car rushing toward me and thinking oh no! I could tell right away i was going to hit it. As I got close I can remember forming a plan to at the last second turn toward the side of the road to minimize the impact angle. I can remember my hand against the glass of the rear passenger door window, rolling onto my back in the grass.

Weird huh?

In other news the new team kits are here and got mine yesterday so new duds for the team!

No comments: