Monday, February 8, 2010

City of lakes loppet 2010


City of Lakes Loppet 2010 is in the books. It was pretty good. I took a good spill that had me goofed up for a while but by the midpoint I settled back in and made up a lot of lost ground in the last 10k. It's funny, because it's on the network of trails I train on, and it's in my home town, you get the idea it's going to be relatively easy. Ummm no. There were long periods where I was just sure someone was driving a knife into my left calf muscle, maybe an hour or so of that, ouch. There were periods where I thought my lungs would explode.

I had to have several serious conversations in my head about not quitting. And On several occasions questioned if I get to the end at all. Crossing the finish line was such a relief. I thought I was doing terrible but as it turns out I dropped 25 minutes off my time from last year, and went up in the standings by 10%. I am still waaaay at the back but I am a little less waaay than last year. I went from 2:55 to 2:30.

For the life of me I don't know why I put myself through this. But for some reason a day or two after an event I can't wait to go do the next one. What is the matter with me? : ) Stupid or Crazy?

The birkebiner is in two weeks that is my second and last race for the year. the loppet is 32k and 3500 feet of climb. The birke is 52k and 9000 feet of climb. It will be my second birke and after the loppet and the suffering I must say it's got me a bit spooked. But if I can hold my loppet pace at the birke. I could finish in 4 hours. That would be 55 minutes faster than last year. That would be one hell of a trick if I could pull that off.

Ok time to go my advil is wearing off... talk to you soon.


No comments: