Sunday, January 18, 2009

42k day

So yesterday was according to the training schedule to be a 42 k day on the skis. it was a pretty tough day. I was struggling pretty much the entire ski. I was hanging in there but struggling. my lower legs and butt hurt after the first few k and never shaped up. the conditions were a little off too.. strong winds made for trails that were a combination of windblown Icy snowpack alternating with soft drifted patches. So it was difficult to really settle into a pace. and wind chill at time was a little rough. That all being said we did 38k in 3:38. so overall not to bad. I was getting close to bonk toward the end. I got really wobbly, pace slowed, and climbing efforts got really hard. I am really going to have to get better at managing my calories going in. It's tough tho.... on the bike i can drink and take in gu on the fly no big deal, but not so skiing so stopping to drink and gu is pretty disruptive to pacing.

I was hoping for a more confidence boosting " nailed it " sort of a day. It instead showed me I have work to do if I am to be ready for the birke.

No comments: