Sunday, January 25, 2009

oops



So I took a pretty hard tumble on the skis yesterday and by evening my knee and ankle hurt a fair bit. Ankle swelled up so I put ice on it and took some advil. The swelling went down. I'm unsure what to do about getting ready for the race on Sunday. Do I lay off it? Do I go to cycling class on Tuesday? I am sure the answer I would get from a coach would be , it depends....

Ok if I lay off. I would get a max recovery for my knee and ankle. However I find it's best to maintain some training albeit lighter right up to race day. Otherwise I get sluggish.

If I try to get back on it when it feels reletivly ok, I risk putting pressure on it and possibly adding to it's injury. On the other hand If all goes well my ankle gets better and I get to do enought effort to stay sharp for race day.

It's race day and I am looking for a peak performance. So I am inclined to get back out there as soon as I can.

That being said I think workouts for the week should be short with a hand full of hill intervals and speed work. No long efforts to tax the system at this point. I am not going to aquirre any additional fitness In the next 6 days. Better to keep the pump primed and rest.

As you can tell race nerves are settling in, which is standard for me. I've been thinking , wax, trail conditions, pacing, evaluating where in the cource to pick up possitions. Where good passing opottunities may be found. Where to recover. Watching the weather. On and on.....

I have a fair amount of work to do this week. How on earth will I focus on it when the critical questions, Like whether to wear my training pants or my cycing thermal tights remain unanswered?


Stay tuned for more prerace panic.....


No comments: