Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Threshold test

Last night was threshold test at cycling class. The coach has us do a test using 2 x 8 minute max efforts as a threshold estimate. It's sorta tough. after you've done it a few times it's no big deal. I think people like to grumble about it though. I haven't been on a bike for 3 weeks. It's been all skiing, the looming specter of the birke is defiantly having a focusing effect on me. I've been skiing as much and as hard as I can. I could defiantly feel the effects of the skiing on the bike last night. I felt really really solid. Skiing does so much for your core that your sense of stability on the bike is really improved. Legs felt great, cardio was right on the numbers.

As much as cyclist don't want to hear it I think the best thing you can do for your cycling is do a bit of skiing in the winter. I have a City of Lake Loppet test run this weekend and then next I have a 42k lsd.

I converted a marathon training calendar to derive down the training distances and taper to the birke. I think the lsd numbers look good but the mid week stuff I think is light. running is harder on your body so I think as a skiing calendar the volume can go up.

On the todo list... practice, practice, practice v2!

skiing 18k today. I can't wait to be back out there!


In other news: if you missed the end of the tour de ski you really should go watch the final stage. Unbelievable personal efforts by the athletes.

here is the landing page for the tour

and here is a link to the mens finish

and here is the women's finish

No comments: