Sunday, January 11, 2009

City of lake loppet test run # 1

I did a test run of the race course or the city of lakes loppet yesterday and had a really good outing. There we're 8 of us that did the run together. It was very nice to have a gang out there. We did the course in 3:03 @ a length of 33k. that's not very fast by elite skier stats. But it's 45 minutes off last years time so I'll take it. There was fair bit of standing around chatting/waiting for ppl so I think a sub 3 hour loppet is defiantly a possibility. I sort of doubt I'll be able to turn in a good time on the actual event. I am starting clear in the back as a first timer. The traffic will be really bad with long waits at the climbs and bottlenecks in the course. It's ok this is my first year at races and hopefully will get me seated in higher waves for next year.

As for how this pertains to the berke... I got to the end and felt that I could have continued with more hydration and fuel. So over all a really solid confidence builder.

Next weekend I am scheduled to do 42k So I'll do the back 9 section (9k) twice then proceed with the rest of the course. the back 9 is one of three hill sections and probably the largest of the three. So this route should offer 20k of hills or so. Close to the distance to double O on the birke. After double OO the birke course drops in elevation verses the front section which rises in elevation.

I am still not climbing efficiently but there nothing to do but practice. I'll be as good at climbing as I'll be by the time the birke is upon me.

No comments: