Thursday, January 1, 2009

Vacation and an anniversary.

I've been on vacation in florida as I do once a year. Usually I come down at spring break time when the kids are off from school but this year some friends from france were going to be in miami for a few days so we came down now so we could see them.

I've been missing my skis but the warm beach has been really nice. With no bike or skis to keep me afloat I've had to run.. ooof. I have never been a fan of running but I felt I needed to keep up with something. the birke is a month and a half away and I am no where near ready. I couldn't really lay around for a whole week.

The weather here has been beautiful and running outdoors in the palm trees is not so bad really. We are going home today so one last dose of sun before returning the snowy north.

Today January first is the two year anniversary of my grand experiment to see what happens if I try to clean up my act. This journey has taken me so much further than i had ever anticipated.

On this day two years ago, I walked down to the basement in my ratty old bike shorts I hadn't worn in years put my old rusty bike on my rickety wind trainer and started to peddle. I only made it 15 minutes in the easiest gear and I thought I was going to die. I think the most important day may have been the second day however. Thats the day I returned to the basement and decided this was going to be a permanent change. I returned to the basement, and didn't say "fuck it" and give in to my old ways. That was a real victory. Every day since that I "go to the basement" has been a victory. It is a triumph over my weaknesses and I can have peace, knowing that for today I am doing what i should.

I still do not know where this is all leading me but I am getting a sense for where I been. The last two years have shown me I am not a weak as i presumed. I have learned that I needed proper nourishment to grow and without i was guaranteeing disappointment. I am beginning to get a sense of the sort of nourishment the gives me strength. Because I am providing better nourishment I am making honest choices, honest mistakes. choices and mistakes I can stand behind and respect.

So I think I am making some progress and I am taking thanks on this two year anniversary.

Thank you to everyone around me that gave me encouragement
Thank you to the few that have really really cheered me on! thank you very very much. you know who you are.

And frankly I have to thank myself. thank you me.

So do I have a new years resolution for this year?


yes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two years since you made a commitment to be the best person you can be..Congrads...I am back to the gym......today i walked in and seen a friend who has not been there for two years i was excited to see her come back..So tomorrow we wil be working out together!!! Its nice to have friends who push you to do better...Thank you for being that kind of friend to me......Mare