Monday, June 16, 2008

Back from bran

I am back from the bike ride across Nebraska. I went down there to ride with some relatives. I rode three days with them in rural Nebraska. I was very surprised at how remote and western it was. I had always thought of it as a midwest state but it is defiantly more western. Huge open expanses of rolling cattle land dotted with tiny towns that serve as the rail connection and grain elevator. Throughout the region we met incredibly kind and generous people who saw us  as lost children or perhaps mental patients. 

I rode 190 miles over the 3 days. The terrain was mostly rolling hills. the major defining element was the wind. Every day we had a stiff 20 to 30 mph wind out of the southwest. It is remarkable how wearing it is to be pummeled hour after hour by the constant wind. By the end of the day you are very tired not so much from the miles but from the exposure to sun and wind. 

I hope to have some pictures to accompany this entry soon so check back.

so for the last week I put on 277 miles. that's the most I've logged since ragbria last year. I must say tho I feel much better prepared for ragbrai this year than i did last.  i felt very strong on these longer days. I had little trouble sustaining long hard efforts and recovering quickly. It appears all the training is paying off!


On sunday I went to stillwater to see the nature valley grand prix. It is a professional bike race.  They did 5 stages here in minnesota. I saw the final stage on sunday. It was very inspiring. More on this and pictures in my next entry.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your comment about "lost children" or "mental patients" made me laugh. I rode the first 4 days of BRAN and definitely have a new appreciation for cycling. I'm looking forward to riding a few days of RAGBRAI in July.

Pedal on!