Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Nature Valley Grand Prix




As mentioned in the previous entry, I went to watch the Nature Valley Grand Prix in stillwater Minnesota this last weekend. 

It was a great experience It was the first professional race I had watched in person. Let me start off by saying I'm not sure these beings are the same species as me. The speed of it was so far beyond anything I am accustom to, both shocking and inspiring. Granted these are actual human being doing this, not aliens or robots. 

The star of the day hands down goes to Kristen Armstrong (no relation to lance). She won the day and the series that day. she was off the front from the second lap on and the gap grew throughout the race. by the final lap she was alone in front by 3/4 of a lap. really amazing. There is a tough climb in the coarse as you can see in the video. She was so consistent climbing, her last lap looked exactly like her first. No change in cadence while climbing same speed, she was a machine chewing up the road. 

I wish I were just enough faster to feel confident to race again soon. But I'm not quite there, patience grasshopper.



Ride Notes:

I rode today with two from the team. we did 39.79 in 2:11. so a hair over 18 mph average speed.
I continue to feel stronger after bran. I really think putting in some long efforts has been working well for me. I continue to recover better and better from hard efforts.

I think recovery is as much a mental process at a physical one. As a hard effort like a hill abates you have continue to apply pressure continue to work even after a max effort.you have to resist the temptation to coast over the top. Dialing the effort back just a bit then wait, wait, wait, for recovery to come. Training your mind to be patient and that relief is coming all the while you body is screaming for relief now!, takes some learning. I have so far to go in this area but am beginning to build some skill.










No comments: